Friday, August 17, 2012

Day care blues

Happy Friday everyone!
For those of you who work, yay! The weekend is here. And for those who stay at home, yay! The weekend is here, time for Dad to take over. ;-)
By the time Friday comes around, my To Do list has reached infinite length. However, motherhood is teaching me, unsuccessfully thus far, to be patient. And so my list for the weekend includes the following:

1) Cleaning
2) Decorating
3) Scrapbooking
4) Organizing
5) Car shopping
6) Swimming Pool time
7) Grocery Shopping
8) Pictures organizing

However, I have To Do List intruders who keep me off track...I have two meeting this weekend, for which I have to prepare. I also have Maya to feed, although THANK GOD for dads! And then, unfortunately, I have to sleep! I wish i did not have to sleep...

Anyway, LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DAY CARE BLUES!

So on Wednesday, our day care provider informs us that she needs to change all the cribs because they all have to be compliant with the new federal regulations. ( So far all is well). Then she says, she would like parents to buy the cribs. (Blood pressure rising). She continues by stating that she cannot afford buying all new cribs (eyebrows start to frown).  By the time she was done, I wanted to scream. I said, "let me talk to my husband and I will let you know."

As soon as I sat in the car and I called Eric, the lawyer in me came out full force!

WHAT IN THE WORLD?
I DID NOT SIGN A CONTRACT THAT SAID I NEED TO PROVIDE EQUIPMENT!
THIS IS NONESENSE.
IT IS LIKE GOING TO THE HAIRDRESSER AND HAVE TO BRING YOUR OWN SHAMPOO
WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE CAN'T AFFORD IT? AND THIS IS MY PROBLEM BECAUSE???

Anyway, I was so disappointed at the request, since as a business owner, the purchasing of cribs is a business expenses. She should calculate it in her fee. Plus, 6 kids at $225 a week...you do the math!

I felt as if I was the only mother who was even thinking that the request was absurd. Thankfully, I met another mother, as she was leaving, and I asked her what she thought. I found out that we shared the same thinking but that she decided not to express it. I on the other hand was going to make sure that I was heard!

Finally, reasoning kicked in and I realized this: It is important to share with the day care provides your expectations, concerns and hopes and also your DISAPPOINTMENTS. I shared with our day care provider that I did not feel the request was just, and that we should not bear the cost. However, I also told her that  I have no problem buying a crib for Maya. We will buy it BUT it is our crib to keep. Therefore, once Maya will stop going to day care we will take it back. Problem solved!

What would you have done?
Are you ready to stand up for your belief?
What if you are going to be the only one who thinks that way?


HAPPY FRIDAY.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment